Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Here's My Dilemma:

I want divided government, so I have a certain bias toward having a Republican win the White House. It's pretty clear that the Democrats are going to win both houses of Congress handily. There is no doubt that Hillary Clinton as the nominee is easier for the Republicans to beat than Barack Obama.

But Hillary will make a scary President. Obama is considerably less scary and, in many ways, actually exciting. If there's no possibility that a Republican can win the presidency, I'd rather have Obama be the nominee.

Furthermore, if McCain is the GOP nominee, I'm not sure he can pull off the tactics that would be necessary to defeat Hillary. McCain winds up acting embarrassed when he has to say things he doesn't believe. None of this bodes particularly well for divided government, does it?

No comments: