Sunday, August 30, 2020

Ideology vs. Competence

I have to admit that when Trump says that a Biden Administration could usher in massively radical and destructive changes, I believe that to be at least 80% true. I believe that the only thing that's keeping the Democratic Party apparat from letting its freak flag fly is the knowledge that it'll lose the election if it isn't a little circumspect. 

It doesn't matter to me. 

I'd be overjoyed if we could have an election about ideology, policy, and the blocking and tackling of enacting a political agenda. But the job of president is about 85% responding to crises, and providing the leadership needed for the American people to deal with them. Trump can't do it. He's not intellectually or morally up to the job. His character is deficient. He's untrustworthy and corrupt. 

So the ideology and politics have to take a back seat to the urgent need to have a grownup in charge. Biden is far from my first choice for president, but he'll do. Trump won't. 

I'm feeling my chest tighten as the polls do the same thing. By and large, I don't get too hysterical when my side doesn't win in an election. But this time is different. We're in real peril. Please vote. I know it'll be a pain in the ass and for some of you will involve literally risking your lives. But voting is the lesser risk to doing nothing. And if you're not worried about yourself, think of your children. Think of your grandchildren. They have to grow up in the country we leave them.

No comments: