Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Very Troubling

Look, I know it's gonna be bad, I'm resigned to that, but Obama's not making me happy with my decision to vote for him. It's not that the comment to the plumber was so shocking. After all, anybody who's actually read Obama's tax plan knows that it isn't a tax cut, it's a bag of refundable tax credits that is nothing but simple wealth redistribution, plain and simple.

No, the thing that bothers me about this is that it's so facile:
"It's not that I want to punish your success. I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they've got a chance for success too," Obama responded. "My attitude is that if the economy's good for folks from the bottom up, it's gonna be good for everybody ... I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."
Maybe you actually need to see and hear it to understand that Obama thought that what he was saying was no big deal. (Apologies for the F&F nonsense on either side--couldn't find a clean copy of the sound bite without doing editing.)

On the positive side, Obama's pretty good at thinking through the things that his instincts tell him. I hope so, because it doesn't seem like there's going to be anybody around that will be willing to inform the emperor that he has no clothes.

No comments: